Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Scones

 "Hey, you got peanut butter in my scones". Sunday's Morning's BAKED breakfast starts off with a roaring dose of oatmeal. But wait, something looks a little unique about this breakfast. Something odd, but with a familiar flavor. Let's take a bite and find out. 

BAKED'S creation, Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones, is truly a one-of-a-kind creation.

They start off with your traditional lineup - flour, butter, salt, oats - with a sugary kick of dark brown sugar - and mixed with an egg yolk and buttermilk. Oh, and a non-traditional one-half cup of peanut butter. Based on all the other scone recipes I've made, which have a ratio of 2 cups flour to 1 tablespoon baking powder, I added a second teaspoon of powder in addition to the baking soda - just for good measure. I figured all that peanut butter and oats would need a little extra nudge to rise and shine. Rather than cut them out into individual triangular scones BAKED recommends scoring and leaving it in the round. I'm not sure why, but I'm up for new adventures in baking.

Did I have these for breakfast? No. Would I? No. These were tasty - who can't help but love the combination of PB&C - but there was something odd about chewing a scone with the flavor of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I found myself searching for the traditional cream, currants or jam with every bite.

Should you try them? Certainly. You might just love the collision of chocolate and peanut butter for breakfast!

To get the recipe for this unique breakfast treat, venture on over to BAKED SUNDAY MORNINGS.

 – mike


18 comments:

Elaine said...

Hey, Welcome back, Mike! :) Your scones look beautiful. I simply cannot imagine why you would not want to eat them for breakfast! I could eat these any time of the day, but then I have been known to eat a Reese's peanut butter cup for breakfast as well. ;)

Elaine said...

Oh, I forgot to say that I LOVE your header!

Susan said...

Hey, Mike! Welcome back! We did have these for breakfast but gave the rest to my brother who is a PB fanatic. We agreed that we were more traditional in our preference for scones as well.

Di said...

Those look delicious. Anything with chocolate chips is usually a big hit around here. =)

Anonymous said...

These scones were definitely a bit of a mind freak, but yours look great!

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

Love your nod to Reese's peanut butter cup. Your scones look great. I agree a traditional scone is the champion. But something different occasionally hits the spot.

Anonymous said...

Mike! It's nice to see some other guys join in on the baking conversation! Haha! Your scones look lovely - great photography. I guess I'm in the minority - I loved these scones for breakfast, but I have a pretty big sweet tooth too! Nice job!

Candy said...

Your scones are beautiful. Love the Reese's shirt. Can you send one my way?

Rebecca said...

Well, I love chocolate and peanut butter any time, so I am fine with it for breakfast, but you could just call these really big cookies and be happy too :)

Kenn said...

Great to see you blogging again... you've been missed!
The combo of pb and c would almost make these scones perfect for dessert as well!

Sheri said...

I've missed your blog and your beautiful photos for Baked Sunday Mornings! Love your new blog banner, BTW.

I wasn't crazy about them either, but then I'm not a peanut butter person. Still, yours are sooo pretty.

Brownie On The Bench... said...

I enjoyed them and would make them again, but if I was just after a scone I'd go for a plain lemonade one with jam and cream.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos Mike!
Maybe these scones are more of an afternoon with a hot cup of tea type scones(?) Anyway, the batch I made disappeared quickly;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly new to the group and am enjoying checking out all the new and returning bloggers! Great photos! :)

Bourbonnatrix said...

You have to tell me how you get your pictures so light and bright! Perfect lighting! And your top image makes me want to try those again with reese pieces! But i think for dessert as opposed to breakfast :) Sorry didn't like these so much :)

margot said...

Beautiful presentation and photos! I started to write "scones" when I did my post because they are pretty far removed from the traditional version. Yummy, though.

TeaLady said...

Glad to see you back. And a great way to come back. These look great. PB in scones. Sounds like a good high protein breakfast!!

CQUEK said...

What a brilliant combination of flavours