Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

White Bread. Cinnamon, Too.

T U E S D A Y S   W I T H   D O R I E
Special thanks to this week's hostesses: 
Laurie of slush & Jules of Someone's in the Kitchen

Tea & Toast. Toast & Tea. Quiet early mornings in a breakfast nook, before the day begins. And speaking of beginnings, today's Tuesday with Dorie post highlights a new Dorie Greenspan baking adventure:  Baking with Julia. I along with hundreds of Doristas are baking our way through this culinary-challenging book, with courage, conviction and gusto. Just like Julia would.


The inaugural Baking with Julia recipe, "white bread" is from Craig Kominak, contributing baker. Made with the simplest of ingredients (bread flour, water, yeast, butter & salt), this bread was quite simple to prepare (although, don't ask my Kitchen Aid, it's still in recovery). I halved this recipe and made two small loaves. One loaf for the traditionalist and one for the renegade (who loves cinnamon sugar swirls). Both were highly-rated at my breakfast nook.

I like Cinnamon Toast. And Toast in general. Lots of it. 
Thank you Laurie and Julie for keeping Tuesdays with Dorie going strong. Your hard work is greatly appreciated. For the recipe to make this delightful bread, visit Julie's blog, Someone's in the Kitchen.

– mike

20 comments:

Unknown said...

great pictures!! I wish I had one of those things where you're putting the bread (no idea how it's called)

Kayte said...

Looks great...especially that renegade cinnamon one...oh, yeah. Good to be back, happy that you are back as well...that way I get to come over here each week and ooh and ahhh over your posts/photos/creativity/food, etc.

slush said...

I adore your photos Mike. They are lovely. Your bread looks perfect. Both loaves, love the cinnamon swirl. Im a sucker for cinnamon bread.

So totally happy you are baking along with us again. :)

Peggy said...

Wow. . oooh.. . yum. That photo is fabulous and I am sure your bread is as well. Love the jam with it.

Jules Someone said...

Love your toast keeper! Your blog makes me so happy. Glad you're back for round 2!

Di said...

As always, I love your writing and photos. I bet this was so good with the cinnamon swirl. I need to make a loaf with cinnamon and/or raisins--it's been way too long.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Your photos are gorgeous and your bread is beautiful. Love the cinnamon swirl. Looking forward to seeing more.

Susan said...

Just gorgeous, Mike! I love your toast caddy - I've never seen one like it. I thought of making cinammon, too - and I definitely will next time.

Now, on to those Whoopie Pies for Baked Sunday Mornings - they're not something I've ever had before.

Lori White said...

Beautiful photos and I want that toast for breakfast tomorrow. :)

Kenn said...

Where in the world did you get the little toast and jam holder?! I love it!! Both loaves look wonderful.. I can only imagine how delish your kitchen smelled while they were baking!

Kris' Kitchen said...

Nice to see a familiar cyber friend. Your toast and jam photo is beautiful as are your other photos, but that one is striking. Wish I'd though to be creative with my second loaf...I'll bake this recipe again just for the cinnamon loaf.

spike. said...

Beautiful! I love your toast holder thing too (do those have a real name?)

Anonymous said...

Both versions look delicious, and that toast holder is as fabulous as it gets!

Elaine said...

Your grandmother's toast and jam holder is exquisite, Mike! I can see why your mom is just loaning it to you. :) Your bread looks fantastic and I really wish now I had made one of mine into a cinnamon swirl loaf. Beautiful presentation and post!

Gretchen Noelle said...

What an adorable set up with the standing bread & jam dishes! Great looking photos on all of these!

Unknown said...

Love that top pic Mike - just stunning!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I'm glad your breakfast nook approved of your baking. With that stunning toast rack, I think I'd approve of any bread recipe! Love your posts, Mike, glad you're baking and posting.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Beautiful toast! Beautiful toast holder too! Best wishes on your new baking adventure!

Cher Rockwell said...

Love the toast rack. Hope your mixer is well-recovered.

Pamela said...

First of all, the blog looks amazing!! I always love your posts and all that you put into them. The bread looks fabulous, and those little dishes with the jam...LOVE THEM!! Keep up the fantastic work.