Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pumpkin Cheddar Muffins



BAKED HIJINKS
'TIS MORE OF THE PUMPKIN SEASON. It was rather fitting that these muffins came up on the baking schedule. And just when I thought a pumpkin recipe would be nice - one where I can use up that half of a can of pumpkin in the refrigerator.




















Rather than tempt you with a traditional pie or a pumpkin whoopee pie, this week's BAKED recipe is a savory muffin flavored with pumpkin puree and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. They entice you to add a little cayenne and black pepper as well. What you end up with is a moist, spicy autumn muffin. 

As with most muffins, these are quick and easy to prepare. To give them a little more flair I baked them in a festive little seasonal muffin liner - the ones you stumble upon and think 'why did I buy these'? Right before they head for the oven, their tops get sprinkled with more sharp cheddar, along with a pumpkin seed. I bought some roasted, salted pumpkin seeds at the store, just for the occasion. To me they're hardly edible - unless I bought the wrong seeds. Flair, they add more flair. . .

For more cheesy, savory, spiked with pumpkin muffins, visit the round-up at BAKED SUNDAY MORNINGS. 

  – mike

11 comments:

Kenn said...

I'm not sure what happened to my recipe.. I did something wrong. My muffins turned out more like bread. They tasted good, but were far more dense and actually kinda dry! Yours look perfect (as always)

Candy said...

I love the addition of the single pumpkin seed, definitely more flair!

Bourbonnatrix said...

you've got very stylish muffins :) very nice!

Elaine said...

The muffin liners do give a certain flair! I hope you liked these, Mike. They look so delicious!

Jaime said...

Love the flair and your pumpkin hi-jinx! Great post, Mike.

Susan said...

Nicely done! I will definitely make these again.

Spike said...

savory cheddar cheese and pumpkin sounds like a good combo

MyFudo™ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheri said...

I love the single, fat pumpkin seed on top! Your photographs are a beautiful as ever.

Kris' Kitchen said...

Beautiful presentation. Next time I want a bolder flavor for these...they go well with other foods like soup or salad, but I want them to be great alone. This is a nice base recipe that will be fun to experiment with.

Littlebakerbunny said...

Beautiful looking muffins -- I love the pumpkin seed on top!