Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hazelnut Cinnamon Chip Biscotti


'TIS TIME FOR A BREAK.  A BREAK from your regularly-scheduled BAKED SUNDAY MORNINGS "Boston Cream Pie Cake".  Think of it as a coffee break. A trip to Denver with my parents to visit my brother and his family left me but a day to read up on the infamous Boston cake - and left me slightly panicked . I decided to draw upon the BAKED Bill of Rights - the Right to Substitute. To see all those wonderful  high-brow Boston Cream Pie Cakes, visit the round-up at BAKED SUNDAY MORNINGS. 




















Oh Frangelico
Drawing upon and ancient recipe from the "BAKED - New Frontiers In Baking" archives - Hazelnut Cinnamon Chip Biscotti - the "chips" being chocolate chips. Studded with toasted, chopped hazelnuts and a healthy dose of cinnamon - they're accented with yet another BREAK in the repertoire . I substituted hazelnut liqueur in lieu of vanilla extract.


Objects are closer than they appear.
I might have been baking too hastily, but the recipe states to form "one log" with your dough - which will form a 3 1/2 inch wide loaf. Mine measured 9 1/2 inches. This BAKED recipe makes large biscotti. Wait, more like gargantuan-sized biscotti. Whether large or small, these are the most flavorful biscotti I've ever tasted. A must try - along with their alternative add-in:  dried cherries and pistachios replace the hazelnuts and chips.

If I must, I'd suggest another BREAK - do yourself a favor and split the dough in half. Make normal-sized biscotti. But that's just me - the Rule Breaker.

 – mike


8 comments:

Bourbonnatrix said...

How did I miss this recipe in the first book?! They look gorgeous! They're going on my to bake list soon! - And thanks for the Frangelico tip.

Kris' Kitchen said...

Wonderful! I should have chosen a different recipe for today's baking. Did not work well for me. Your biscotti looks perfect and sounds delish. Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Jaime said...

Too funny! These look way too delicious for their own good! I can't wait to try this recipe!

Sheri said...

I've become a fan of baking biscotti. Must try this one.

Susan said...

Mike, thanks for your great comments! I think we're all just perfectionists in this group! I love your Biscotti & the use of Frangelico was inspired.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Elaine said...

Hi, brow?! You're too much, Mike! :) Your biscotti is beautiful and I think a perfect choice for a 'break.' I hope you had a wonderful time with your family!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Beautiful photo! Our FFwD bill of rights just says "don't make it if you don't want to or if your husband objects to lamb" so you guys have more pressure. Very tempting these biscotti. Wish I had one now!

Aveen said...

I stood in front of a bottle of frangelico yesterday arguing with myself whether I should buy it or not. I didn't, but now I wish I had! These look lovely, perfect for dipping into an espresso.