Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Alfalfa Honey Corn Muffins


"Alfalfa?"
ALFALFA.  I think of hay and horses. And Alfalfa, that Lil' Rascal from "Our Gang". But not honey. While shopping (or grazing) at the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago, I spotted some jars of honey with "x's" on the lids and asked what kind they were. "Alfalfa", she said. I had to ask again, knowing my expression was similar to this 'lil guy's on the right.  ---->

Aside from fresh farmer's honey, these muffins get a slight tangy kick from buttermilk - and a down-home sweetness from brown sugar. While the BAKED boys referenced the almighty Jiffy boxed muffins as their source of inspiration, the addition of cornmeal gives them just the right texture, which boxed Jiffy muffins just don't have.

X  MARKS THE ALFALFA
One half of their recipe makes 48 mini-muffins. That means you can have two, possibly three, and sometimes ever four mini's for one standard. I like that kind of math. And I really liked these muffins. Sweet enough on their own, they were even better with a little drop (or two) of extra honey. To see all the other corny creations, along with the recipe, be sure to visit BAKED SUNDAY MORNINGS.  

And to get yourself some alfalfa honey, I suggest heading to your local Farmer's Market. Look for the bottles with the "x' on them .

  – mike






13 comments:

Chaya said...

We liked them also. I made minis too and I am glad I did. An easy and good recipe.

Kenn said...

I may have to look for this honey! This IS a quick and easy recipe.. as a side note.. great with a hot bowl of chili!

Candy said...

I loved these too! Love your honey action shot. I tried to do something similar and it wasn't nearly as successful.

Bourbonnatrix said...

love your pictures mike! they make the muffins look delicious!

Elaine said...

I really like alfalfa honey, so I am glad that you got to try it and I am sure it is delicious in these muffins. I love the photo with the pouring honey. Your muffins are just beautiful, Mike.

Kayte said...

Wow, those look wonderful, all that drippy honey. Going to need to make these soon...honey, nature's most perfect food, right? Right!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I think you have really upped your photo game lately! My grandma used to "X" the lids when they had been used for pressurized preserves and could not be used again that way. These look like a great size too but yes, I would probably have three.

Anna said...

Need to get hold of that honey...Or probably my husband can get it for me, I'll do the baking anyway!

Susan said...

Great photos! We loved these, too.

marla said...

Lovely muffins, especially with all that honey :)

spike. said...

Those look way way better than Jiffy corn bread muffins!

Jaime said...

I just so look forward to your posts... they are always so well done :)

Kris' Kitchen said...

Very well done...both your write up and your honey-pouring-photo are engaging. My grandpa used to keep bees that produced alfalfa honey and it's the best. "See" you in a couple weeks.