Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake Cookies


T U E S D A Y S   W I T H   D O R I E
Special thanks to this week's host: Peggy of Peggy the Baker

When the World's Fair and Richard Nixon came to my hometown during the summer of 1974, I dragged my parents to see the New Home Frontiers woman cook an egg in a frying pan with absolutely no oil or butter - and egg over easy, no less. We had season passes to the fair, which meant almost daily visits to watch this 10-minute demonstration. I was enthralled with this magical pan called "Silverstone".


These days I'm fascinated with other such non-stick accessories, such as foil and silicone. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the whole idea behind non-stick was just that - non-stick. I'm not sure what the magical ingredient was, but these cookies stuck like glue. Stuck to the non-stick mat. I took the trusty can-o-pam and sprayed my non-stick silicone mat for the second round. You can tell by the picture below how well that worked.

What was left of this cookie was nothing short of excellent. A true 'cake' cooky - light and fluffy with a slight sour cream tang, and made even more chocolaty with the addition of mini-chocolate chips and a dash of espresso powder.

I'm now enthralled with this cooky. The non-stick mat - not so much.

– mike



14 comments:

Kenn said...

How odd that the cookies stuck to the silicone mat.. I've never heard of that happening before. They do look delicious though!

Di said...

Mine were a little sticky, too, but came off parchment reasonably well. I like your idea of adding mini chips. I made sandwiches out of mine.

spike. said...

these cookies were so sticky! I used silicone too and had the same issues. At least the cookies kind of made up for it

Jules Someone said...

Parchment. I used that and had an easy time getting them off. I like silpat for other stuff. Glad you liked the cookies!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Great photo. My silicon sits idle in favor of parchment as well. Those cookies look like they are begging to be made into ice cream sandwiches. Begging!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

So weird... you'd never know it by that first photo. It's gorgeous! :)

Kayte said...

Finally, someone else who had to chisel their cookies off the surface! I had a terrible time, rescued a few for photos and decided the guys would have no problem eating defective cookies...they thought they tasted great (could be the serious chocolate deprivation they go through here at times, evidenced by spooning Nutella straight from the jar into their mouths). Yours look perfect perched on that little diving rim waiting for a dunk in the pool.

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, that is too bad about the stickage. Sounds like others had that issue also. Your cookies look delicious, though! Nicely done...might need to try these in an ice cream sandwich :)

Peggy said...

That's so odd about the silicone mat. I've always wanted to get a Silpat, but never get around to it!

These cookies look fantastic. All of my experiences with sour cream in baking have turned out well, so I'm sure this will too =)

Nicole said...

Wow, I've never had things stick to my silicone mat (except the time my husband used the wrong side). Maybe it's time for a new mat? They look good otherwise!

TeaLady said...

Reason enough for me NOT to get a silicone mat. Will stick with my Parchment paper. Sooo sorry yours stuck. But as long as they tasted good!! Love the milk and cookie pic.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

hmm..that's odd. parchment worked fine for me, although i did need to get under them with a thin spatula. chocolate chips would have been a perfect sub for the raisins...why didn't i thnk of that?

Paula said...

Now I'm pulling out Dorie's cookbook because I think this might be just my type of recipe. But I'll steer clear of the silicone mat.

Elaine said...

How strange that they stuck like that...they sound so good though and I love your photos.