Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Caramel Coffee Pots de Ice Cream

T U E S D A Y S   W I T H   D O R I E
Special thanks to this week's host: Peggy of Peggy the Baker

MAC.  A month ago I noticed Mac was having vision problems. Lines, quirky things across his face - and all that blinking. He never gets sick. Now he's completely blind - and mute to boot. Speaking of booting up - which he can't seem to do at all now. Not that I'm insensitive, but all I want is my precious iPhoto library, and my TWD photos. Thanks to my dad's old iMac, I found a path back to cyber-bake-space. But enough about me.




This is all about Peggy and her wonderful pick of the week - Caramel Pots de Creme. Like Peggy, I proceeded to lay out the custard cups, line the roasting pan with paper towels, put the kettle on . . . and thought . . .  to who and where am I going to unload eight cups of pots de creme? 

I stood there, staring at the recipe, and that ubiquitous light bulb appeared overhead (or maybe it was in the oven). If I ditch the two whole eggs, add one more egg yolk to the recipe's five, I'd have a custard - an ice cream custard. And, if I partake of Dorie's "bonne idee" using coffee beans, I'd have two of my favorite things - in one. 



OVERLOOKED EXCELLENCE?  In homage to Mr. Ice Cream - David Lebovitz - Dorie, or David (or someone) should put this recipe in their next book - pronto. It's one of the best ice creams that has crossed my lips. A slightly burnt caramel paired with a smokey, espresso-infused custard.  

I'm going to have to make a copy of this recipe so I don't lose it. Much like the backup of Mac's life that I never bothered to make. Stupid Mac.

– mike




20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! This ice cream reminds me of the burnt caramel gelato I used to looove as a kid. Nut now that I'm all grown up adding coffee to it would make it that much more perfect. Yummy!

Unknown said...

Mike--this is brilliant! Love that this became a delicious ice cream--and what a fab combo! Two of my fav flavors! Definitely hang on to that recipe! Now that I have the ice cream maker out, am going to have to experiment with this one! Cheers!

spike. said...

Maybe you should put it in your cookbook...I'd buy it! Sounds like a brilliant idea, my friend.

Carolyn Jung said...

Coffee plus caramel? Be still, my heart! This ice cream looks wickedly dangerous. I know if I made some, I wouldn't be able to stop eating it. Mmm.

Unknown said...

You genius! I actually considered freezing some of my custard just to see what would happen, but I knew I'd be very happy eating a bunch of baked custard, so I didn't. Now I might just have to make some more and freeze it. It looks heavenly.

Hindy said...

Wow! You made frozen custard! Awesome variation. I want some. Now.

Judy said...

Brilliant! One can never go wrong with ice cream.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yo! pots de ice cream = the best idea i've seen in a long time. :)

Peggy the Baker said...

Wowie kazowie! What a great idea. Thanks for baking with me this week and for nudging me along with your ice cream idea--next time I think I'll try it!

Unknown said...

Oh man, I skipped this week since I'm not a pudding person & Shane won't eat caramel, but now I'm really really wishing I'd tried your version. It sounds excellent!! Great photo too :)

Valerie Gamine said...

This looks amazing! Mike, you're a culinary genius.
May I please insert a spoon through the computer screen so I can try some? :D

Trevor Sis Boom said...

Sorry to hear about yound Mac but you know Ihow I love going off the rails with a Dorie recipe! I was just thinking of cover ice cream and this is just the update I would like to try. Good work and welcome back!

Kenn said...

Wow... now this sounds like my kind of dessert!

Sorry to hear of the Mac troubles. Perhaps it would work at the beach house? *grin*

margot said...

Computer problems are no fun. That ice cream looks awesome! I did the same thing since my husband never eats pudding, but loves ice cream.

TeaLady said...

YOU are the MAN!!! Way to turn it around, Mike.

Sorry to hear about poor Mac!! Hard to lose old friends!!!

Elaine said...

You're BAAACK! Sorry about Mac, Mike. Hope you gave him a proper burial. What a great idea to make ice cream. It looks delicious!

Jules Someone said...

As someone who's had a hard drive crash (TWICE!), I back up my mac on a daily basis. And please, get us that recipe!

Katie said...

I would buy a cookbook with this recipe in it too. This looks just beautiful and sounds delicious!

AmyRuth said...

Hey guy, long time no chat.... what do you think of google+?
I hope all is well there and you are happily baking and cooking along in the PNW. Take care
AmyRuth

Anonymous said...

Dans les annes 1840, Benjamin Disraeli, still
a long way from being prime minister, wanted to wake people up to the minute on
all the passions, diversions, and traditions that give
Spain its unique identity.

Here is my website: fleshlight