Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Strawberry Jell-O Salad

Hell-O Jell-O. Say it ain't so. How could those super cool BAKED boys feature something so nightmarish as a Jell-O salad? If it were any other cookbook I would have gladly passed this one by.
Today's BAKED creation sits upon a base of crushed pretzels (pretzels?), which are mixed into a brown sugar and butter syrup and then baked. Atop this sits a creamy confection of whipping cream folded into a cream cheese and sugar mixture. If this isn't enough kitschy, prepared Jell-O with sliced strawberries is poured on top and then chilled.

Contrary to popular belief, not all "Jell-o salads" should be sneered at. This was remarkably refreshing - slightly strange, but refreshing none the less. Of all the celery-laced and grated carrot-filled salads I've had over the years, this one rises to the top of the list. But pimento-stuffed olives swimming in lime gelatin comes in a close second.

To get the recipe for this retro salad, venture over to BAKED SUNDAY MORNINGS.

 – mike



9 comments:

Robyn said...

so weird, right? but i could not stop eating this thing!

Bourbonnatrix said...

your dessert looks great! my grandmother used to make a jello salad with cabbage in it, that my dad and his brothers would eat alongside sandwiches, urg! if i'm going to eat jello, it has to be as a dessert!

Susan said...

I'm impressed that you were able to cut such a perfect piece! Mine was a bit of a mess. But, it was really good. I love your vintage pics!

Brownie On The Bench... said...

Hehe I love that we're classifying this as a salad, beautiful slice mike. Not sure about jello and olives though?!

Sheri said...

So pretty - as always! Ugh, I remember those salads with grated carrot, and chunks of pineapple.

Elaine said...

I don't believe for a second that you would have passed this recipe up because it is such a retro recipe with a little twist! :) You did an absolute beautiful job, Mike! Love the vintage graphics.

Kris' Kitchen said...

How about the Jello in Christmas Vacation? You wouldn't believe what my mom used to put into Jello salad...the best ones were whipped up with air and re-set. I've made sure my kids don't know much about Jello, but I must admit we all enjoyed this one.

Littlebakerbunny said...

Love the vintage Jell-O ads -- they reminded me that my mother had an entire cookbook of Jell-O recipes, including some extremely questionable savory ones (I think proteins might have even been involved!). I'm with you on how remarkably refreshing this was -- definitely my favorite Jell-O dessert of all time! Beautiful photo!

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I dare you to make that olive jello salad! Having said that I would bet that you would make it look lovely, just as you have this, um, whatever it is. No seriously, what is it about this that is so intriguing? I would certainly give this a go as I have learned to trust this book implicitly since you convinced me to buy it.

Great job.