Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mom's Olive Oil Orange Cupcakes


BUNDTS and mothers. Aside from the super-cool Pillsbury boxed Bundt cake mixes from the 70's & 80's, My mom's one and only bundt cake is sacred. It's the only cake she ever makes. It's undoubtedly one of the most popular recipe out there. It's embarrassingly a cake-box-recipe. I'll share that classic later - it's surprisingly good (gasp)! Catch all the traditional bundt versions over at Baked Sunday Mornings - along with the recipe. Or stick around for some cupcakes.







Baked in a birthday present from my friend Elaine at CaliforniaLiving, these vintage "Silver Beauty" muffin tins from the 50's are "beauts". Sized for what muffins were back then (smaller) - in between a mini-muffin tin and today's "standard" pan. Priceless. 

This BAKED recipe combines orange zest, extra virgin olive oil, yogurt and uses the beaten-egg-white-fold-in-technique (for added lightness). I squeezed and added some fresh orange juice as well, since just the zest was called for. You can't have too much orange flavor.

And what's a cupcake without frosting? The BAKED boys recommend confectioners' sugar or an orange glaze - I opted for the glaze and a bit of zest to top them off. Light, orangey - what mom wouldn't enjoy these Sunday delights? Not quite like mom's bundt - but there's nothing like the original.
     
   – mike 








13 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike, I ♥the vintage tin's you baked these beauties in from Elaine! What an uber special gift and what treasure! Seriously. Love that you made these into cupcakes. Hope you post your mom's bundt soon--bet that one is a GEM! Cheers!

Katie said...

The cupcakes look perfect! I love the glaze you came up with!

Desiree said...

ok, not only are your little cupcakes adorable, your muffin tins are great. i love them! anything vintage especially "baking" related is a real treasure. enjoy.

Candy said...

I considered making cupcakes and after seeing yours I wish I had! They are so cute. I love the pool of glaze in the center of each one.

I also love your vintage tins. I come across them all the time while antiquing but always pass them up. Next time I'll have to snatch them up.

Bri said...

Wow, your cupcakes look gorgeous! What a great idea! Awesome job.

Bourbonnatrix said...

love your cupcakes :) i'm sure the orange juice improved the recipe too! thanks for your great comment on my post. i used a paderno fluted tube pan... i'm sure it's just a walmart cheapie! i'm jealous of all the fancy molds our fellow bakers used!

Rebecca said...

Love them as cupcakes and the frosting sounds delicous.

Kris' Kitchen said...

Enjoyed your cupcake version and seeing your tins...what treasures. Your photos are superb and I imagine that your cupcakes are too. Nice to see that this recipe bakes well in different shapes.

Jaime said...

Beautiful cupcakes! I covet your muffin tins and loved your post. I wish I had thought to add some extra orange flavor... next time :)

Elaine said...

Oh, Mike! Those are the prettiest little cupcakes ever! I am so glad you like the tins. And, that you use them! I was worried that you would already have some in your baking arsenal. :) I just love this recipe and love your idea of making the cupcakes!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous muffins - and how lucky you are to have those vintage tins!

Cakelaw said...

Awww, these turned out so cute!

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Wow! Those are some nice looking cupcakes!